Hi Cooped Up Cooking with Katie Fans! Here are the 2 recipes for today’s show at 3pm PST – CAULIFLOWER FRIED “RICE” & THAI CURRY BEYOND MEATBALLS!! Follow me here on Facebook to tune-in!!
Meema’s Cauliflower Fried “Rice”
- Neutral oil (vegetable or canola)
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- One 2-lb head cauliflower (or store-bought riced cauliflower)
- 4-5 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari (gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- Grate the cauliflower in a food processor fitted with the grating disc. Alternatively, grate on the large holes of a box or hand-held grater. Set aside. (Skip this step if using store-bought riced cauliflower)
- Add 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil to the pan and set over medium heat. Add the garlic, and ginger and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the grated cauliflower, 4 tablespoons of the soy sauce, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring often, for about 3 minutes. Add the peas and carrots and continue cooking until the cauliflower “rice” is tender-crisp and the vegetables are warmed through, a few minutes. Add the rice vinegar, sesame oil, scallions and stir-fry for 1 minute. Season to taste with salt & pepper and more soy sauce if desired. Garnish with more scallions and serve immediately with Sriracha sauce if desired.
Thai Curry Beyond Meatballs
- 1 ½ cups coconut milk
- 1 lb ground ground “Beyond” Meat or “Impossible” ground meat
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil (vegetable or canola), divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced lemongrass
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar or brown sugar
- 4-6 kaffir lime leaves (optional), torn in half
Two small handfuls of fresh cilantro (coriander) leaves (about ½ cup), finely chopped
- Mix the Beyond or Impossible ground meat with ginger, salt, bread crumbs and cornstarch. Place approximately 1 tablespoon of the mixture and shape it into a meatball. Continue shaping and transfer them onto a platter.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer to plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil and swirl pan to coat. Add the garlic and lemongrass and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the coconut milk to the frying pan and let come a gentle simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the curry paste to the pan and cook about 3 minutes, stirring to dissolve the paste into the coconut milk. Return the meatballs and cook, turning gently to coat, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, bring to a gentle boil, and add the water, soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, kaffir lime leaves (if using). Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring gently until the meatballs are cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve immediately.