Hey Cooped Up Cooking with Katie Fans – Here are the recipes from today’s show!!
Hatch Chile Poppers with Shrimp
- 8 oz medium raw shrinp, peeled and deveined
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Melissa’s Hatch chile powder
- 1/2 cup mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 4 Melissa’s Hatch chile peppers, sliced in half lengthwise, veins and seeds removed
- Sea Salt & Freshly Ground Pepper to taste
- 8 strips bacon (optional)
Heat oven to 375 degrees.
Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the shtrimp and pan-fry until they turn pink. Season with salt and pepper.
When cooled, chop the shrimp. In a bowl, combine the shrimp, Hatch chile powder and cheeses until well mixed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Carefully fill each pepper with the shrimp mixture. Wrap each chile in bacon (if using) and place on foil lined baking sheet. Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes until bacon gets crispy (if using). Serve immediately.
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- The juice of two limes
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1 fresh hot red or green pepper, preferably Thai, deseeded and finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons high-heat cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons minced galangal or fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Melissa’s Hatch chile, roasted, deseeded and diced
- 1/2 pound ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion (white and green parts)
- 1 tablespoon minced lemongrass
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (nam pla)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 lettuce leaves
Make the sauce: Bring sugar and water to a boil in a saucepan, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Cool slightly. Mix ¼ cup of the syrup with the ginger, lime juice, vinegar, fish sauce and chili in a small bowl. Transfer to a small serving bowl. Discard remaining syrup.
Make the filling: Heat oil in a wok or skillet on medium-high heat. Add ginger and garlic and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add ground chicken and stir-fry for 4 minutes. Add the chiles and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
Add cilantro, green onion, lemongrass, fish sauce and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Dish out and transfer to a serving bowl.
Serve chicken mixture with lettuce leaves and ginger lime dipping sauce, allowing guests to form their own wraps.