White Bean Turkey Chili
Thanks to all of you who tuned in to the first installment of my “Cooped Up Cooking with Katie” Facebook Livestream today! Times are crazy but that doesn’t mean you can’t cook up healthy meals for your family. Distancing doesn’t need to mean disconnected so facetime your friends and cook this together or get your whole family into the act and give your kids easy jobs. This White Bean Turkey Chili recipe is so easy and made with simple ingredients (many of which you probably already have in your pantry). Double the amount of beans and use veggie broth for a vegan version of this chili! Tune-in on Thursday at 3pm PST for my “If life gives you lockdown, make lo mein” FB livestream! Friend me me on my personal Facebook page (I’m the one in the pic with the Obamas). Sending love you all!
- 2 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 3 poblano peppers, ribs removed, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 groud black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 cans white beans (cannellini or white kidney), drained and rinsed
- 1 can white or yellow hominey, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro
- lime wedges
- avocado cubes
- chopped scallions
- shredded cheese
- Heat a pot over medium high heat. Add the oil and swirl to coat. Add the garlic and onions and saute until fragrant and translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add the poblano peppers, turkey, salt, cumin, oregano, coriander, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Break up the turkey with a spatula and saute for 3-4 minutes, until no longer pink. Add the celery and saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, hominey and broth. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and allow to boil for 50-75 minutes or until most of the liquid is reduced. Lower heat to a simmer and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately with toppings.